Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Really Nasty Malware - AntiVirus 360

Recently several people have contacted me, reporting that their PCs have been infected with a "virus" that keeps bugging them to purchase a program called "AntiVirus 360". it reports that their computer is loaded with all kinds of viruses, malware, and trojans.

Antivirus 360 is a rogue anti-spyware program intended to fool users into purchasing a fake product. Persistent pop ups and system tray warnings pound users with fake system alerts. Often -- without knowing -- users are tricked in to thinking these fake alerts are official "Windows Alerts". AntiVirus 360 is a nasty program running silently in the background which kills PC performance.

So...the facts is that AntiVirus 360 IS malware. Really REALLY bad malware. Some have taken their computers to repair shops and had the hard drives totally reformatted to get rid of it. That doesn't have to be done, though. There's a "triple-whammy" that I've used to get rid of the pest.

First, I disable "System Restore", the screen saver, and disable Hibernation mode.

I start by keeping my LEGITIMATE antivirus program, Norton Antivirus, up-to-date. I don't use the Norton Security Suite. It's a resource hog. I just use the plain-Jane Norton AntiVirus. It's updated at least every week, then I run a full system scan.

I also use Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. It's free. I also update it and run a scan to remove threats. Ad-Aware is also used. It, too, is free. It requires updating, scanning, and the removal of any threats found.

Using all three of these programs in concert has successfully removed AntiVirus 360 from three PCs without having to reformat the hard drives. Keep the programs up-to-date. Scan your PC regularly. Make backups of your files.

Hint: Be wary of buying a program claiming to be a tool that removes AntiVirus 360. It just might be more of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment